St. Bonaventure University Athletic News
February 28, 2012ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. – Coming off a perfect weekend in which it swept each of its matches, the women's tennis team (5-4) fell to Atlantic 10 Conference rival Duquesne, 6-1, on Monday at the SBU Indoor Tennis Courts.
Junior Amanda Pallikunnel picked up the lone SBU point with a 6-0, 6-7 (3), 10-8 victory at No. 4 singles over Paula Gruber. Senior Manuela Marin-Salcedo partnered with freshman Fatya Amiri at No. 2 doubles and the duo moved to 6-1 on the year with an 8-4 triumph. However, the Dukes claimed the other two doubles matches to earn that point.
Kathryn Kvas came close to giving Bonaventure another singles win after winning the first set against Chandler Consonery out of the No. 5 singles slot. However, the junior dropped a second-set tiebreaker, 6-7 (8), before falling in the decisive third set, 11-9.
Duquesne, which won its third straight match to even its record at 6-6, also picked up its second conference win of the season while the Bonnies dropped to 0-2 in A-10 action.
St. Bonaventure will be back in action on Saturday, March 3, when it travels to Virginia Tech to face A-10 foe Charlotte at a neutral site.
1) Megan O'Sullivan/Judy Li def. Amanda Pallikunnel/Marissa Brossard (SBU): 8-3
2) Marin-Salcedo/Amiri (SBU) def. Vanessa Steiner/Consonery: 8-4
3) Tara Majdalani/Gruber def. Kvas/Andrea Pavlovic (SBU): 8-4
1) Steiner def. Marin-Salcedo: 6-2, 6-2
2) O'Sullivan def. Amiri: 6-3, 6-3
3) Li def. Brossard: 6-2, 6-2
4) Pallikennel def. Gruber: 6-0, 6-7 (3), 10-8
5) Consonery def. Kvas: 6-4, 6-7 (8), 11-9
6) Majdalani def. Pavlovic: 6-1, 6-0