St. Bonaventure University Athletic News
February 27, 2012ST. BONAVENTURE, N.Y. – Looking to snap a five-match losing streak on Saturday, the men's tennis team did just that with a hard-fought 4-3 win over Bucknell.
The Bonnies claimed the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. Sophomore Elliot Fanshel teamed with classmate Javier Ortiz for a victory at No. 2, 9-7, while freshmen Trevor Haskell and Miguel Suarez claimed an 8-5 win at No. 3.
Following the doubles win, Bona's top three singles players claimed victories to help them snap the losing streak.
Junior Luis Guevara clinched the victory with a three-set thriller, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. Junior Oscar Yanez – who partnered with Guevara in the lone doubles' loss – bounced back at No. 1 singles with a straight-set 6-4, 6-4 win. Fanshel closed out the SBU singles wins with a 7-5, 6-4 decision out of the No. 3 slot.
The Bonnies return to action this weekend on Saturday, March 3, and Sunday, March 4. Bona will travel to Virginia Tech to play Atlantic 10 foe Charlotte on Saturday before battling host Virginia Tech on Sunday.
St. Bonaventure 4, Bucknell 3
1. Gregg Cohenca/Evan Zimmer (BU) def. Luis Guevara/Oscar Yanez (SBU), 8-6
2. Elliot Fanshell/Javier Ortiz (SBU) def. Josh Katten/Kelly Morque (BU), 9-7
3. Trevor Haskell/Miguel Suarez (SBU) def. Kyle Rosen/Scott Bernstein (BU), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Oscar Yanez (SBU) def. Greeg Cohenca (BU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Luis Guevara (SBU) def. Evan Zimmer (BU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. Elliot Fanshell (SBU) def. Josh Katten (BU), 7-5, 6-4
4. Kelly Morque (BU) def. Miguel Suarez (SBU), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
5. Kyle Rosen (BU) def. Javier Ortiz (SBU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gregory Maxson (BU) def. Trevor Haskell (SBU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6