St. Bonaventure University Athletic News
January 24, 2012Complete Release
ST. LOUIS – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has selected St. Bonaventure guard Jessica Jenkins as its Women's National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Jan. 22.
As the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week, Jenkins was nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players of the week.
Jenkins, a 5-8 senior from Marion, Ohio, set the Atlantic 10 record for career 3-pointers at 293 after she knocked down six as part of the 23 points she scored in Saturday's win at Charlotte. She also had 18 points and four 3-pointers in the previous win over Richmond last Wednesday.
She is the Bonnies' leading scorer with a 14.7 average and is fifth in the Atlantic 10 in scoring, helping the Bonnies (18-2, 5-0 Atlantic 10) to first place in the conference.
This is the first season that the USBWA has selected a women's national player of the week. The weekly national player of the week is added to the award's watch list, which will be released at mid-season.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player of the Year. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final Four.
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12 Conference)
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East Conference)
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial Athletic Association)
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten Conference)
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)