Thursday, April 19, 2012
Big dollars coming to three McKean County school districts
Six school districts in the 25th Senatorial District have been awarded more than $2.7 million in federal grants to promote literacy efforts, according to Senator Joe Scarnati (R-Jefferson).
Scarnati said the schools received the grants through the Keystones to Opportunity (KtO) grant program, which supports Pennsylvania’s efforts to improve literacy outcomes for all children, including disadvantaged students, students who have limited proficiency in English, and students with disabilities.
The following districts received grants:
· Port Allegany School District $452,548
· Otto-Eldred School District $307,985
· Bradford Area School District $879,250
· Brookville Area School District $724,085
· Clearfield Area School District $70,258
· Austin Area School District $276,518
“The grants will be used to help increase reading achievement, utilize technology to improve literacy, and provide new resources to teachers and administrators,” Scarnati said. “Improving reading and writing scores in our schools is one of the best ways we can help our kids succeed and be prepared for life after they graduate.”