Saturday, February 11, 2012

Two hurt in Port Allegany Fire

From the Bradford Era/

Two employees of the Saint-Gobain glass plant were injured when a fire broke out in a ventilation shaft of plant one around 6:50 p.m. Friday. Oil and grease inside the ventilation shaft caught fire and when firefighters
arrived on the scene, heavy smoke and flames were showing from the shaft and plant personnel were attempting to extinguish it, Star Hose Company Fire Chief Fred Roys said. Roys said two employees were
taken by ambulance to the Charles Cole Memorial Hospital. Medic 16 was dispatched to meet the ambulance for a plant worker who had suffered smoke inhalation, but the extent of the injuries suffered by the two individuals was not immediately available. Emergency responders were on the scene until 8:37 p.m. and were called back around 9 p.m. when the fire rekindled. Damage to the 1 Glass Place factory
was confined to the ventilation shaft and one of the glass making machines, Roys said. Twenty-five firefighters from Port Allegany and Smethport responded to the call. Port Allegany and Roulette ambulances assisted at the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment